Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homeschool Writing

Writing...... For some homeschool parents, this word sparks fear and hesitiation more than algebra, long division, phonics and chemistry experiements. Why? Because many kids just don't like to write. It is easy to teach math and science concepts because there are directions. If you follow the directions, you will reach the result you are looking for. Unfortunatley (or fortunatley for some), writing involves thinking, creatvity and patience. It is a skill that we continually improve and change each time we put a pencil on paper, even as adults.

Squidward is a kid who has never liked to write. He didn't mind the actual task of making letters on paper such as handwriting or copy work, he just hated sitting for an extended period of time and coming up with his own ideas or thoughts. This troubled me very much because he is my most creative child and I just couldn't understand why he didn't want to share that creativity on paper. He would be willing to talk about ideas but not write them.

In the beginning of our home school journey, we were signed up through a public distance learning school because I was very overwhelmed with the idea of coming up with an adequate curriculum that I could use to properly teach my children (I, of course. find this idea ridiculously hilarious now!) For two years, Sqidward learned how to write the same way public school kids learned and each assignment was sent into the teacher for grading which in return, she would grade and mail his assignments back full of red marks pointing out all of his errors. This discouraged him to the point of not wanting to write at all and I knew we had to change something. Last year I ended up finding as great writing curriculum so that Squidward could continue to learn about grammar and writing fundamentals in an eight week course but did not ask him to do anything further than that for the rest of the year and summer.

This year, I bought him a special notebook that only he writes in. I do not correct it at all. In the beginning  we would come up with ideas and he would maybe write a sentance or two and draw a picture. He was very hesitant at first but then began to enjoy writing and reading his ideas and thoughts to me.

His writing went from this:



To this:




I am so proud of him. He works so hard on his notebook each day! We are to the point now where he is ok with me circling his mis spelled words so that he can add them to his word wall but other than that, my pen stay out of it. It is important for me to know what writing standards are for Aidan's grade but we are able to take more time when needed in a particular subject  since we are home and learning all year long. I love that I had the freedom to recognize that Aidan needed less pushing in the writing area. The break and hands off approach seemed to help rebuild his confidence. I never want my kids to learn or do school because they "have" to, I want them to learn and do school because they WANT to. I try to cultivate their natural curiosity and imagination by homeschooling as I have found those areas of learning are not encouraged in public school.

Have you ever had a homeschooling instance where backing off on a subject or area helped more than anything?


2 comments:

  1. Kiersten Anne GasconJanuary 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM

    We had a child that hated school. His bio-mom told him if he didn't like something, just walk away from it. Essentially, that was what he was doing with his schoolwork. In the summer, he didn't want to go to camp. He did everything he could to get kicked out. We told him "Go ahead, get kicked out, but there will be a consequence". The consequence was - for the time the other kids were in camp, he and I would do homeschool. We went on fieldtrips to the skateboard park and incorporated that into writing exercises, as well as math (working on angles). Math in the fraction area and reading were developed by cooking recipes and doubling the recipes. Cooking also provided some science work for us. The next school semester, we saw a complete turn around in his attitude toward school. Homeschooling rocks!! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiersten, that is amazing! What a difference when he is with someone who holds him accountable for his actions and decisions. :)

    ReplyDelete