Saturday, March 31, 2012

Goodbye March!!!

Are you taking spring break this year? We are because March was an unusually busy and stressful month for us. The Chief was in and out to sea throughout the month (it is so much easier to just have them in OR out) which meant that we couldn't get on a normal schedule. Our evenings and Saturdays were booked with basketball games for Squidward and cheer games for Mia and myself as the squad's coach. I had numerous meetings in relation to the base animal shelter and Ombudsman. We spent more time away from the house than home and we are all exhausted. **I should mention that I am not complaining, only a little tired- I am so thankful for all of the opportunities that I am able to teach my children, be a role model for others'children, and give time and energy to help animals and our command families.

I am not sure why this all happened in March but it is officially the end and I am ready for nice, quiet and peaceful April to get here! Despite our busy schedule, we kept up with school. Sometimes it was broken up throughout the day or even on the weekends but I cannot let my busy schedule and the things that I choose to do overwhelm me to the point that my kids are not getting an adequate education. It is sometimes hard to find that balance and usually I do well but March really made it difficult and put my organizational and patience skills to the test!

Of course when I say we are "taking a break" for spring break, it does not mean that we stop learning. One of my favourite things about home learning is that lessons don't necessarily have to come from s book. We will be focusing on gardening and setting up our outdoor greenhouse, planting seeds and researching plants. The kids miss their veggie gardens so my task is to find a way to make a veggie garden easily in a small space!

We will also be preparing our for our science fair projects. Our local homeschool group is putting on a science fair and all of the projects have to creatively based on a Jules Verne book! Brandon chose to make a test a homemade hot air balloon, Aidan chose to do a presentation of his amazing rock and mineral collection and Mia is doing a presentation on the planets of the solar system.

We will also be reading some of our favourite Jules Verne books to help us get excited about our projects. Zombie, Squidward and I can take turns reading out loud but Mia is still a beginner reading. Whenever we read together, we focus on sight words and phonics. She also loves to read Raz-Kid books to herself and record them for me to hear- I am sure she will do many of those over spring break.

What will your family be doing over spring break?

No comments:

Post a Comment