Monday, May 14, 2012

Derby!!!!!

What a week full of fun!!!! On Saturday I had my first roller derby bout! I have been practicing for a little over two months and I feel like all of the hard work paid off :) My team, The Yokosuka Sushi Rollers, are comprised of women form the Yokosuka area- some are Military spouses, some are government sponsored civilians or active duty themselves. I love the camaraderie and strangely, having your butt handed to you while skating is actually fun! 

Introducing Wicked KillHer:








That day we also held a fundraiser for our animal shelter at our base's Japanese/American Friendship Day. We made money and I hope it will help. We recently went through some changes at the shelter but I feel they are needed for growth. We also got two new kitties into the fostering program. These guys were a result of a three hour rescue mission involving a storm drain, a sewer, the fire department and a geji-geji the size of my arm, lol! 

We are coming to an end of our "school year" and I have been putting some thought into next year's homeschool curriculum. We do end up schooling through the summer but it is not as rigorous as the rest of the year. The kids have shown an interest in doing unit studies again so we are going to think of some units to study as a family for the next few months- something to get us outside and immersed into the beautiful country of Japan around us! This week the kids are finishing up their grade level subjects for their current grades and having fun playing online context clues games and reviewing their spelling and vocabulary form the whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment